Tested on Asus Zenfone Max ZC550KL Marshmallow
You must be on MM build .46 and up for this to work.
- Download the Asus bootloader unlock tool .apk file to your device and install like an application in order to unlock bootloader(follow on-screen messages)
- Boot device into CSC MODE(fastboot\bootloader) and connect to PC via usb cable. (To boot into CSC MODE , press and HOLD “volume up key+power key”)
- Flash twrp :
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- IMPORTANT! POWER OFF THE DEVICE BY LONG PRESSING THE POWER BUTTON AND BOOT STRAIGHT INTO RECOVERY BY PRESSING VOLUME DOWN(-),IF YOU ALLOW THE DEVICE TO BOOT TO NORMAL SCREEN AT FIRST BOOT,THE STOCK RECOVERY WILL BE RESTORED !!
- fastboot boot twrp.img
- Install the SuperSU zip.
- if you don’t flash the root file once in twrp, you might encounter a bootloop!
- some users report a password prompt while in Twrp, just press “cancel” then go to twrp home screen , WIPE-FORMAT DATA, after formatting data , go back to twrp home screen -REBOOT-RECOVERY , after that flash the root file (make sure your root file is on an external sd card
- Congratulations, you now have a rooted phone.